I’ve loved quiche for a long time. I don’t remember exactly when I first ate one, but when I hear the word “quiche,” I feel happy! My mom always loved eggs, so I grew up eating a lot of them. I’m guessing I first ate quiche at home, but it might have been in France when I visited there as a teenager.
I really love eggs, too – like mother, like daughter, I guess! My mom made up this recipe and it’s a hit in our house! I like that it uses Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, and I especially like that it uses essential oils!!
If you’re a little intimidated about using essential oils in your cooking, don’t be! I was scared at first, and I was pretty sure I was going to ruin the whole dish whenever I added them in. But I haven’t ruined one dish yet with essential oils, and that’s saying something! In fact, I really love the taste of them in food, and they’ve really added a lot of robust flavor to my cooking.
I don’t consider myself a great cook by any means, and this recipe turned out just as delicious as my mom’s quiche. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Healthy Spinach Quiche
- 2 pie crusts (I use gluten free)
- 1 ½ cups cooked spinach (about 10 cups raw spinach)
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 10 eggs
- 1 white onion
- 4 pieces turkey bacon
- ½ cup yogurt
- 3 drops black pepper essential oil
- 3 toothpick dips rosemary essential oil
- 2 cups swiss cheese
- 1-2 TBLS milk (soy, coconut, rice or other)
Cook pie crust according to instructions on package (or make your own and pre-cook). Remove from oven and cover edges with aluminum foil.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spinach with about 1 TBLS olive oil in pan on stove top. Measure out 1 ½ cups cooked spinach.
- Chop onion finely and saute with about 1 TBLS olive oil.
- Cook 4 pieces turkey bacon and chop finely.
- Whip 10 eggs, 3 drops black pepper essential oil, 3 toothpick dips rosemary essential oil and 1-2 Tbls milk. Fold in ½ cup yogurt.
- Add in bacon, onion and spinach and stir everything together.
- Grate 2 cups swiss cheese and divide into 2 parts. Cover the bottom of each pie crust with about ½ the mixture for each ( about ½ cup cheese each pie).
- Pour ½ the egg mixture into each of the pie crusts. Add another ½ cup cheese on top of each of the quiches.
- Place in oven on a baking sheet and cook for about 70 mins. The top should be golden brown.
Important: When cooking with essential oils, drop the appropriate amount of oil into a separate container rather than directly into food. This way you can better monitor the number of drops you add into your food – sometimes the essential oil comes out of the bottle really fast, and if you accidentally drip out 5 drops instead of 3, for instance, you can add less into your food without it ruining the whole thing.
Enjoy your healthy spinach quiche! Yummy!
Do you use essential oils in your food? I’d love to hear about it!